Ad - leaderboard

Thursday, July 04, 2013

First day in Switzerland, Zurich and Luzern first European wine, delicious, fruity.

Landing in Zurich, I drift off into romantic memories of swiss icons. Classic picture compositions drift by as the farmland is arranged by the rivers into beautiful S shaped curves. Timeless rough solid barns and the delicate houses seen from the air. Once in a while, cute groups of tiny  cows dot the intensely green pastures between the dark forests; large cowbells ring.

The decidedly un-Swiss wobbly landing wakes me from my dreams, but I  am quickly soothed by the soft, precise German voice announcing our arrival.

Workers purposefully attending to their tasks everywhere. I'm reminded of Disneyland where resting is hidden from view.
As I step off the plane but before I reach the terminal building a hallway opens to my right connecting passengers  to their Venice flight; it reminds me that this is one of the to rated airports in the world.  No wonder, this connection to Venice would have to be the quickest connection possible between two flights ever. Just an hour ago I went through a 7 km connection (no change of airport) at Paris Charles de Gaule airport.

We are staying at the Ibis budget hotel by the railroad station. They are doing a fine job. 

We walk through the train station and then across the bridge to the tourist area. It is a typical tourist area with scary clowns, the usual restaurants, etc. Almost had Pad Tai at CHF 19 (CAD 25) a stand up bar but decided to go for dinner at a fine restaurant with perfect. Gnochi with tomato sauce and primitivo wine.

I won't dwell on it but staying in Switzerland is like staying at an expensive hotel. It's very nice, but you can't stay for long. Just double the Canadian prices for everything; part of the distortion is that prices are tax and service included. Of course, this will make Italy feel like a bargain.


This nice half tonne geode in the window is priceless, literally.

People are very fit and slim in general. It is inspiring to see bicycles everywhere. Pedestrians have the right of way over automobiles. I saw people at crosswalks barely glancing as they gingerly stepped in front of cars that quickly came to a stop for them. Nervously I attempted the same with great success. 
It was cool in the park, I sat watching the giant chess game.

The room is very nice, but has holes instead of handles in the shower and bathroom doors. 
And so to bed.