Ad - leaderboard

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Facebook limits notifications with a double edged sword

Turn me away because I receive too many notifications?
Turn me away because I receive too few notifications?
Read on.
Steve

Facebook's core business problem | ZDNet

Facebook has met this overwhelming amount of information by employing an algorithm to emphasize and de-emphasize certain friends' updates. It has been a rocky path: first, Facebook gave users the ability to create custom lists around those real-life friends circles (e.g. work, family, friends). Then it realized only a minority of users were using the tools, so it started taking matters into its own hands.
Wonder why you never see updates from your 348th high school classmate anymore? That's why.
It's a good idea in theory; if you have more than 1,000 "friends," the noise becomes impossible to overcome. No one should have 1,000 friends, but who's counting? I no longer hear from my 348th high school classmate anymore on Facebook's News Feed, and he/she me. While the occasional voyeuristic update is missed in the name of digital social diversity, it's no great loss.