We are due for a separation of security and device. Managing dozens of passwords and Identities is un-manageable. Federation of IDs such as Facebook and Twitter helps but we have a long way to go before my car door locks know about it.
I want to have one or two IDs (one for serious stuff, one for I don't care so much stuff). This quote sums it up.
Perhaps it is time someone considered how to offer access security as an external service – like PayPal. Each computer system could have a list of valid ID numbers (like credit card numbers – unique around the world) and the login process could be a 2-part activity. First the ID number would be entered as the "user name" equivalent. If the number was valid for access to this system then the user would be passed to the external authentication service (just like PayPal) where a challenge/response process would be run using the ID number provided and the hardware I mentioned earlier. If the challenge / response succeeded then the authentication service would return an approval code to complete the login.TechGenix Ltd. - Newsletter Subscription: