My Plants and Garden
- General Plant care
- Guide to pruning with virtual pruning lesson Nicely done
Nine things you should know about trees - Smoke tree; Cotinus 'Grace'
Cotinus dying: Campanula I hope you told your friend your pruning came with no warranty lol. For the growth to start wilting clearly the sap is being cut off and it is likely to be some form of pathogen attacking the plant internally. Personally if it was my cotinus I would remove the wilted growth before what ever it is spreads. I dont know what healthy growth on Cotinus looks like when cut but when you prune if you have the slightest idea the growth is tainted then cut back further. When you get to clean wood steralise your secatures and cut back alittle further before once again steralising the pruners. Just my view on the issue.
General maintenance: As for the smoketree, I assume you mean the Cotinus coggygria? If this is what you're growing, I suggest not watering it very much. Too much water results in lanky and tender growth. The Cotinus likes it dry and doesn't do well in clay. I mix in gravel to improve drainage. I prune deeply into the interior of the plant ('Royal Purple') but not past a lateral bud, and I also trim to keep the form of the plant to my taste. This plant can get tall, but I keep mine in check with spring pruning. by animas
Dying branches may be Verticillium Wilt