Ad - leaderboard

Thursday, January 01, 1970

VE2DEH My radio amateur days

I want to thank Pierre and the Brissons for introducing and nurturing the spirit of the "radio amateur" in me. I studied hard and passed the exams the summer before I turned 16. Taking the bus to Sherbrooke to take the tests. 

This licence  has been a source of pride all my life. It has served me well and helped me get my first job as a radio operator for Bell Canada in Fort Chimo. 

http://www.rac.ca/callbook/search.php VE2DEH has been reasigned, it was my call sign from 1970 to 1975 approximately. I studied morse code every evening with the ARRL machine transmissions on W1Aw and radio theory all through late high school from the ARRL 1966 handbook.

All through the winter I communicated on 80 meter band in morse code. The raqi.ca was the main point of contact every evening about 7:30 pm. This meeting with VE2CQ is still on their calendar to this day. 

Then I studied for my voice licence. I only used voice on the 2 meter band, via relay to on Mount Orford. Later I assembled a Heathkit transceiver and actually got to make SSB calls. Eventually, assembled a 1 kilowatt transmitter and made calls to Europe. I tried to learn spanish from listening to south american short wave, "Yo soy un hombre" and Puebla books, but never got it.  I knew no one who spoke spanish.

Keywords: VE2 DEH, ham radio, amateur ratio, QSL, CQ, Licence, voice, CW, 5 words per minute, SSB, Single Side Band Radio,